Come October 15, the roster of small Nevada County nonprofits is going to shrink, if the folks behind these groups don't hurry up and file an annual return - even just a 990-N - with the IRS.
It used to be that small nonprofits didn't have to file a yearly return; but in 2006 that changed, with passage of The Pension Protection Act. Now all tax-exempt organizations - except for churches and church-related organizations - have to file at least a simple 990-N, and if they don't do so for three consecutive years, their nonprofit status gets revoked.
The deadline was originally back in May, but there's a one-time extension to Oct 15.
From the Topeka Capital-Journal:
"since the law changed, every exempt organization has to file a 990 of some type," [IRS spokesman Michael] Devine said. "The important thing is that if you are an exempt organization, especially a small one, you have to file a 990 in order to stay in compliance with the law or your status is going to be revoked."The IRS has each state's list of endangered nonprofits.
California's list: Excel, PDF
I browsed through it & came up with these Grass Valley and Nevada City nonprofits:
(there are many more - I just used Excel Viewer, which wouldn't sort by town, so missed some - and I didn't check for Penn Valley, Colfax, etc; and is it possible that even orgs not on the IRS list may be endangered?)
- Air-Pac Of Nevada County
- Alzheimer Family Support Group Of Western Nevada County
- Blue Planet Discovery Incorporated
- Canine Council
- Cascade Shores Homeowners Association
- Chris Harada Productions
- Compassionate Action - Accion Compasivo
- Disabled American Veterans
- Friends Of Spenceville
- Key Club (Bear River, Nevada Union)
- Nevada City Business And Professional Womens Club
- Nevada County Property Rights Committee
- Nevada County Sheriffs Search & Rescue Inc
- Nevada County Taxpayers Association
- Sierra Jazz Society
- Several fire district groups
If your nonprofit is at risk, how do you make things right with the IRS?
FDL Reporter explains:
"Organizations required to file Form 990-N need only visit the IRS website, fill in the required information on the 990-N form and electronically file it. Tax-exempt groups eligible to file Form 990-EZ must file their delinquent annual information returns by Oct. 15 and pay a compliance fee."
The IRS page to visit:
IRS Announces One-Time Filing Relief for Small Exempt Organizations That Failed to File for Three Consecutive Years
Some Truckee groups (there are plenty) -
- Barn Owls Unlimited
- Tahoe Center for a Sustainable Future
- Sierra Housing Development Corp.
- Sierra Human Resources Association
- Sierra Public Media Corp.
- Truckee Babe Ruth Baseball League
- Truckee Nordic Club
- Truckee Sportsmen's Association
- Truckee Tahoe Airmens Association