Tuesday, March 18, 2003

supercilious hypocrites r us

On a metafilter thread at lunch today I ran across this wonderful bit of text
Bush sets in motion 48-hour timeline for Saddam and sons to flee the country. Then, Saddam Defies Bush Deadline and suggests that Bush himself resign. Wait a minute, I think I see a diplomatic solution here that is in the best interests of BOTH nations...

and the first impulse was of course "must - put - in - blog"...

then came a genuine thought, regarding my original noble intentions for this weblog -
"If you have an open mind and are interested in dialog, in learning from and discussing with others, in exploring ideas and viewpoints that may not match your own, civility is good..".
... under which I would count not using quotes like the metafilter one above. or frodo. :-(

So, it's one of those moments...

And the impulse is to say "yes but...this one's funny & should be shared"

but it's not going to be funny to everybody, and, again, it comes back to "who's your audience?". I am regretfully coming to the conclusion that political jokes are not appropriate in mixed company. even if I am the one telling them. this is difficult, because I want to tell them, it feels much more natural to want to inhibit others than myself. The struggle is a good thing: it fosters understanding, to find that I have the urge to become what I look down on.

No comments: