Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Conservative psychology and politics II

Another possible reason for why conservative politics are dirtier (see previous post) - maybe the average conservative is more reasonable than the average liberal...
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

...which would leave a power vacuum in conservative politics, which would be filled by individuals with more personal motivations. In fact I have data supporting this hypothesis (i.e. I read it on metafilter and didn't write it myself) --
...One thing I like about being more liberal is that liberals I have been involved with tend to take personal action on behalf of their beliefs; they get involved...The conservatives I know (I have many friends who...oh, never mind) are perfectly happy to let other people take those actions for them; their activism is in agreement.

No comments: