Wednesday, February 26, 2003

In the beginning...

Uh

Hello.

I decided to start this weblog & to beg Yubanet to create a Weblogs category (thanks!) because weblogs are the way of the future and I feel that news and discourse in Nevada County have for too long been "owned" by individuals or institutions, & that we need to be able to discuss issues amongst ourselves without such intermediation. I believe that weblogs will be "where the community gets its voice", to dig up an old slogan from a local radio station. As Dan Gillmor of the San Jose Mercury News recently put it--
...weblogs often point to other weblogs in an ecosystem of news, opinions and ideas...[The] vision, shared by other blogging pioneers, has been to help democratize the creation and flow of news in a world where giant companies control so much of what most people see, hear and read..."

(I will be doing a lot of quoting; so many writers have expressed so many things so much better than I could that I'm happy to yield the metaphorical floor.)

No comments: